Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What do I want to be when I grow up?

After getting married and buying a house it is becoming abundantly clear that I now need to have a career.
Going to school for theatre and theatre directing since High School was a great idea at the time. I enjoyed it, learned a lot and grew as a person. I loved getting my BFA and after graduating college I loved moving to NY and worked in the theater, or in casting. Along the way I also did A TON of jobs that had nothing to do with my aspirations, they were just bill paying jobs, or jobs to give me health insurance.

They ranged from working at an ice cream shop, catering, dog walking, cocktail waitressing, cleaning houses, working at a dating service, being front of house staff at a theatre, working construction and painting apartments, house sitting, working as a receptionist, and being in HR for a large and small company. I could go on but you get the point.
I have had all these jobs and now that I am not in NY and don't need a ton of money to get by, it's time to find out what it is that I really want to do.

Living in St. Louis the cost if living is a whole lot cheaper and our mortgage is 60 dollars less than what our rent was in NY. The best part about that is that right now we are making about what we made in NY so we really are not hurting. So now I have to time to re examine what it is that would make me happy.

Part of the struggle is that, I want to have kids and doing something that would require going back to school for a while may not work with that idea. I also for sure need health insurance, and to be making enough money to pay all my bills.

St. Louis has most jobs a person could want, and professional salaries as well. I just don't know what direction to go in. Since directing theatre I have not found something that really gets me excited to go to work. I want to find something I am passionate about again, so I can dedicate myself to it. When I want to I am a really caring hard worker.

I love animals, theatre, restaurants, caring for children, being a leader, decorating, planning parties, organizing, being a hostess and not being chained to a desk.

I just don't know how to incorporate some or all of that into a career.

3 comments:

KC said...

I just came across your blog while searching for something else entirely. Hi, I'm KC and I live in Webster Groves... so I'm close to your new neighborhood. Welcome! I hope you'll like it here.

Have you had a chance to see any professional theatre here in St. Louis? There's plenty going on all the time. I see (and review) a few plays each month -- not professionally, just for fun. Drop by my blog sometime and say "hi"!

REY said...

I think going to school and being a mom at the same time could actually work kind of well, time-wise. Its just the money that need sorting out. I said this to frank the other day. You just need to find the job you can do that makes the MOST money and takes the LEAST time if you want to go the school route. It then pays for school without imginging on life plans too much. In my experience, this plan works best if you choose a cheap school like a state or city college.

REY said...

also, here's another job idea. Be a high end children's party planner. If that isn't something they have in st. louis yet, even BETTER. There's always rich people. Rich people have tons of kids and they always want some crazy shit that no one else has yet.