Monday, October 22, 2007

Bike Race

I was the first girl in a semi-bike race this past weekend. It was called Tour De Moose. A bartender at a bar in South City called Lemon's has done this for 3 years in honor of his birthday.


I think that they called it a race, but really it was supposed to be about the beer. It was a pub-crawl from bar to bar to bar (about 6 in total). All around the City area, from South City to The Hill to Downtown, Soulard and Back! There were about 60 people in the race this year we were told and about 1/3 of them woman. Everyone was there to have a good time and drink and race. There were rules and maps so nobody would get hurt. And the best rule of all was that everyone had to wear a helmet.


I am competitive when it comes to women and biking. Something weird comes over me, I get energy from places I never knew I had, and I have the urge to out do any woman on a bike.
This started in Brooklyn, NY on the Williamsburg Bridge when I decided to go over faster and faster each time and pass as many people as I could. I found out that I could pass people, and I would get a surge as I did.

Since moving here to St. Louis, I have not been on my bike as much, but when I do get on my energy comes back and I am a speed racer.
I think a lot of it has to do with riding with my husband who is a great rider himself. He is taller, faster and better on a bike than me. Also I never beat people at anything, and since I found something that I can do pretty well I am taking pride in it.

So, I think that we have found a new St. Louis yearly tradition, The Tour De Moose!