Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Tricks St. Louis Style

So this was our first year in our first house that we got to do the whole hand out candy to the neighborhood kids.
Coming from Boston originally I was used to cabbage night (the night before Halloween where people go around and TP your home and smash our pumpkins) and tons of kids from 5-18 trick or treating and grabbing as much candy as they can and leaving before they look you in the eye. So I prepared myself, bought a lot of candy and got ready to scoop it out.

In St. Louis the whole Halloween thing is way different and much more composed. First off there is no cabbage night here. Kids also stop trick or treating in middle school here so you only get the cuties chaperoned by their parents. The best most surprising part was that every child that came to the door told a joke took one piece of candy and said thank you as they left.
No joke, I was shocked.
We later went to a friends house and I had to ask everyone there who was raised here if they grew up telling jokes for candy, and they all looked at me as if that was the only way.

I guess St. Louis is a polite trick or treating place!

As a side note, Pig our dog dressed up in a pig costume and was a pig this halloween.

2 comments:

Grew said...

I want Pictures of Pig in his costume!

Kelsey Stewart, Author said...

I am from St. Louis and grew up with the traditon of which you speak. Halloween as a child in St. Louis was wonderful! You had to make sure you did your research and have at least 5 or more jokes in your arsenal because if they had heard your first joke, they would surely ask you for another one. I loved it and knew no other way...until I moved to California.
The first Halloween here we asked out cute little trick or treaters what there joke was. They looked at us like we were aliens!