Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Jumping Bean

I had my second Dr's Visit and it was just supposed to be listening to the heartbeat for the first time (which is really exciting alone) but it turned out that I was far enough along to have an external sonogram. I had never had one before, but because I watch so much TV I knew what to expect. It's really surreal when it's happening to you, but it's exactly what one would assume. They slop clear gunk on your belly (the gunk is warm which was surprising to me) and they take the wand thing and press down on your uterus until they find the baby.
It was amazing to see because it was bigger this time and jumping. No joke bouncing and kicking and pushing off the sides of my uterus. The weirdest part is that I can't feel it at all.

I tried to count two arm and two legs and I am pretty sure that's what I saw, but the machine is not the best. The real big sonogram machine they use to find out the sex is at the hospital.
I went to this appointment without my husband this time, and I feel bad that he was not able to see the jumping bean, we were only supposed to hear the heart, and I got a picture so I feel like he got to feel a part of it.

1 comment:

Josh Koenig said...

Sonograms are indeed weird. I had one once when I was a freshman and developed a weird late-puberty lump under one of my nipples. It was totally normal and not a cause for concern, but they did a sonogram just to make sure, and because they could have a medical student do it, I think.

I found it very odd that you can't physically detect that these sound-waves are going through your body. Also, my gel was cold. :(