Friday, August 24, 2007

We really are buying a home

So our offer was accepted with a few changes. The sellers wanted full asking price but would pay our closing costs and sell all their appliances for a dollar.



We accepted!


We breezed through the inspection with just a small hiccup when the inspector almost electrocuted himself when he poked his screw driver in the box. But that was a happy coincidence because there happens to be a great electrician next door that is friends with the owner who came right over and replaced what needed to be for free.

We decided to get a sewer snake done and found a couple of branches growing in the pipe. We got worried but realized at prompting from our broker to look into Maplewood's sewer lateral program. (First just let me say . . . what?). Who knew that that was a term that I would get to know, and then even better we found out that the program is great and you already pay into it through your taxes.

So pain was averted and we went on and scheduled the closing. Everyone warned us that if the sellers did not pre-sign we may not get the keys until the end of the day. Turns out that the sellers pre-signed and we had our closing scheduled for 10am, so chances were that we could have the keys by noon.

Meanwhile we were packing our apartment, coming up with a budget that we thought was reasonable to stick to for the move and all the fixing up costs.

That started a bit of fighting just because my husband wanted to make sure that we would stick to the budget and not throw it out the window the minute that I saw something fab that I had to have.

I am trying to stick to the budget. . .


So we had the closing and I signed a lot of paper most of which I did not read, and I shook my loan officer's hand and fully expected to get a bottle of champagne like people get on tv. We did not. I am still waiting for that.




We got our keys and in about 45 minutes became proud home owners in Maplewood, Missouri!

3 comments:

Annie said...

Welcome to the neighborhood!

carolweisman said...

Love the photo. You look so happy. Hugs, Carol

Unknown said...

congrats on the house!!! I can't wait to come visit and see it. wow, you are such a grown-up! :-)