Thursday, August 2, 2007

Where to live

My husbands brother has lived here his whole life other than college and trips places. He is a teacher and owns his own home. He has friends all over and was very instrumental about where we were supposed to live. We were also living in one of his extra bedrooms.

At first we were going to pay to much and live in the Central West End in these high rise apartments. The apartments were small and it kinda smelled like a sewer in the building all the time. But coming from NY we were just so excited to find a cute place that we kinda liked.

We were instructed that we were stupid to live there and we needed to take our time and look at places like Maplewood. Now that meant nothing to me. I could barley tell I40 (which I thought was called 64) from 170 to 270. I could have been told to live on the moon.

We went driving around and we were shown all the cute little neighborhoods a bit farther out from the city. Places like Clayton (which we can not afford), Richmond Heights (which we are almost priced out of) and then Maplewood.

I can say now, that I saw the little town strip and the Schlafley Brewery and Monarch Restaurant and I was sold. We freaked out and ran to look at this apartment. Now unlike NY everyone had for rent signs outside. And there are numbers to call, they could be owners, or landlords or rental companies, but people answer the phone and will show you what you want to see.

We looked at this one place and I walked up to stairs and loved it!


I went in to full speed foaming at the mouth mode to get it. That is something else you don't have to do here either. It's not like people are lined up around the block to get these apartments. Telling me that at the time would not have helped. I ran around getting Faxes and such and we got the apartment.

Side note and something that will I am sure happen over and over but the receptionist and the rental co, went to high school with my husbands mom's family and so we got an edge that way. Everyone here is connected through high school.

We got the keys in the next few days and moved in.

That couch had to go up through the back porch!


Maplewood is nice. It family orientated, safe and really as everything else 20 minutes from everything we could want.
As a transition from North Carolina it's already better and cheaper and we can walk to things without worrying about driving everywhere.

No comments: